Search This Blog

Sunday, 25 February 2007

Thyroid problems are a pain in the neck!

I was diganosed with an overactive thyroid a few months ago. It all happened in a roundabout sort of way. I've been plagued with migraines for years and years and I've been on Pizotifen to try to prevent them for almost 10 years now. Anyway - those tablets really didn't seem to be helping so my doctor decided to try me on Beta Blockers (Propranolol) to see if they would help more. Well, to cut a really long story short .......... they didn't help in the least - in fact, I think I was getting even more migraines than ever. One day at work, I took a really severe dizzy spell and ended up in hospital because I couldn't walk! Turns out, the Propranolol had lowered my blood pressure to dangerous levels, so I was taken off them immediately.

During all this, I had countless blood tests done and one of them showed up that I had a slightly overactive thyroid (see? I'm getting to the point of this post now! lol).

Looking back, I can see the signs that I never recognised at the time. My customers had begun to notice that I was talking very quickly and that I always seemed to be hashed and out of breath. I was also having REAL problems with my upper arms - especially the left one - which were SO painful, I couldn't raise them above my head, nor could I put on, or take off, a jacket without help.

So, I got an appointment at the Thyroid clinic in Aberdeen and was put on 30mg of Carbimazole per day, for 6 weeks, then I got another blood test to see how things were going.

They think I'm now slightly underactive, which would explain the HUGE weight gain within the last few weeks and the lethargy and the weakness. It's horrible, I tell you. It's just not me ...... and I SO want to be ME again.

1 comment:

Eleanor said...

Of course you do, and YOU is the best person to be. It takes a while to sort, but you'll get there in the end. 'This too will pass.'
E
xx