Search This Blog

Sunday, 11 May 2008

Unexpected visitor

On Thursday morning, when I got into BIL's car, he pointed down to the bottom of his field, where I saw this ......


It happened just about half an hour previously, when the driver was startled by a deer jumping onto the road in front of him. He swerved to avoid it (unsuccessfully) and landed up down in the field. The poor deer didn't survive, but incredibly, the driver was fine. I took this shot after we got back home from work and an hour later, a crane was there, hoisting it out. Totally written-off.

Another unexpected visitor is this wee beauty .....

It's a crap shot that looks slightly un-real, but I couldn't get any closer, even with my telephoto lens on. The light was rubbish, so I photoshopped it to within an inch of its life, just so you can actually see it is, in fact, a swallow! I love it that they come back year after year, to nest inside the roof of our old steadings. We definitely have at least one pair. I shall keep trying to get a better picture because, let's face it, there could hardly be a worse one! lol
By the way, the swallow was unexpected because we never saw any fledglings last year and we assumed that the nests had been invaded, so to say we are thrilled to see them this year is an understatement!


As usual when I'm out taking photographs in the garden, I am trailed by my little band of followers, namely .....

Elvis (my 11 year old grumpy boy),


Merry (my flighty baby girl)


and Star (my fragile, but still beautiful, 18 year old grande dame)....

I'm using these as my SPS for Saturday!


Kerry and I went to a crop yesterday. We couldn't stay long, but we managed to do a class where we made a handbag album (photograph later). It's Kerry's 30th birthday tomorrow (12th May), so the girls at the crop bought her a cake. She was thrilled!

In fact, you can just about make out the handbag albums at the bottom right of this shot!

7 comments:

SuzyB said...

Aww lovely to see your fur babies - all gorgeous. Sad about the deer though.

Happy birthday for Kerry for tomorrow x

Rach said...

Happy Birthday to Kerry for tomorrow. Wow about the deer but what a shame. The only thing we get jumping out in front of cars is hoodies!! Love your pussingtons too very cute. x

MommyBa said...

beautiful shots! :)

im sorry for what happened to the deer.

Shannon said...

Glad to here the driver was ok, sad about the deer. Very pretty bird, we have a cardinal here.

Bambi said...

beautiful kitties! your description fits their expressions perfectly (^_^)

Sue Nicholson said...

I am not a cat "lover", they make me sneeze, but I have to say those kitty kats are just lovely :-)

Such a shame about the deer, wonder why it ran out :-( How fortunate that the driver survived :-)

The bird is great . . . isn't Photoshop amazing!

And it's lovely to catch up with you from time to time :-)

Bye for now . . . Sue

Hazel said...

I've just been catching up with your posts. Love the pussy cats!