Search This Blog

Monday, 27 October 2008

(A)light .... and no Edward Woodward in Sight!

The word today is 'Light', well I've added an 'a' in the front of it for my interpretation of it, as you can see in the last 3 photographs.

On Sunday, Kerry and I took the kids to Archaeolink, which is a history/archaeology-themed park.

Every year, on the last Sunday in October, there is the burning of the Wickerman, as a symbol of the end of summer and the passage into winter. This is the third year I've been at it and the fourth year for Kerry and the kids.

Here is what he looked like when we arrived ...



... and as we walked around ....





There is always a Fancy Dress competition for the children and this is the first year that my grandkids have taken part. Cameron was a mad surgeon, Kali was the Corpse Bride, Aaliyah was Wednesday Addams and Saffron was little witch!


Cameron was Runner-up and he received a free Wickerman T-shirt!


We met the Green Man too ...



Then we had sparklers!




As usual, it was bitterly cold and windy, but the skies were clear and as it grew dark, the heavens were filled with stars.

Perfect weather for a burning ......





We were all chilled to the bone by the time we got back to the car, but it was worth it. This year's burning was the best so far!

x

14 comments:

voodoo vixen said...

I went there with Christopher when he was in Primary but I never knew abou the wickerman being burnt - so much nicer than a Guy Fawkes - almost a shame to set him alight!!

Diana said...

I am gobsmacked - these are flippin spectacular. What great shots!

Sue Nicholson said...

AS I scrolled down I thought "this is my favourite shot", then the next pic came in to view and I thought "wrong, it's this one"!!! LOL I love them ALL :-)

Bobs, despite your cold hands your photography is amazing. Love the sparkler and the way you have captured the flames. . . I can smell the smoke in the air!

Super costumes too. Great shot of "Wednesday" .

Take Care . . . Sue

PS Have you seen Across The Universe? It's based on Beatles songs and the "story" is very much from the 60/70s. The singer actors are SUPERB. As you like The Beatles I would highly rec this film . . . BTW Both Sarah and I gave it 10/10, (we gave Mama Mia 3/10, 1 for the great credits and show at the very very end, 1 as Pierce took of his wet shirt and that was well worth seeing and 1 because the music, if not the vocals, was great). We, I think are in the minority! LOL I know we are!

Rach said...

Great shots Bobs. It looks like a great evening. Love the costumes too very cool. x

Igotmebabe said...

Brilliant shots,love them all
Janette

Cheyne said...

Beautiful, beautiful pics!

maz said...

Oh Wow, wow! What a brilliant photographic opportunity- awesome photos Bobs:)

Chris T said...

I remember the Edward Woodward film - we saw it as a "B" movie. I wasn't impressed & can't believe it's become such a cult success. Your day looks much,much better. Sounds a great family occasion

Louise said...

wow - we watched the remake a few weeks ago.

Shannon said...

I love all the shots and the story. Helped me to understand what I was seeing and as I will probably never seen it in person, I thank you for letting me live it through you.

Lorraine said...

Cor!!!! wicked pics, Bobs. Love the burning ones.
The kids looked absolutely super, hun.

Maria said...

really enjoyed these photos

God's Rock Angel said...

Aaliyah is a very convincing Wednesday Addams! She rocks!

God's Rock Angel said...

Aaliyah is a very convincing Wednesday Addams! She rocks!