Search This Blog

Saturday, 1 November 2008

SPS - with a twist!

So today over on HSMSHS, we're having an SPS (self-portrait Saturday) with a wee bit of a difference.

We have to post a pic of ourself that has a bit of a story behind it.

Well, I have hundreds of pics of myself, but this one says just what I want to say!

I was born with a terribly bad squint and in all my baby photos, this is very, very obvious. I had a operation to straighten my eye when I was 5 and I was SOOOO proud of my straight eyes.

Sorry this is such a poor quality shot, but this is just a tiny part of a larger photo, Anyway, I think you can see how chuffed I am in it.



See the way I'm opening my eyes more than is necessary? I'm showing-off! Lol

However, because the squint was so bad and it wasn't corrected till I was 5 years old, the damage to my optic nerve was too far gone and irreparable, so now I'm practically blind in my right eye.

And do you know when it's most annoying? When I'm taking photos with the digital camera. I have to look through the viewfinder with my left eye, so I'm always left with a lovely nose print on the screen at the back!!




Ghosties and Ghoulies and Long-Legged Beasties......

Unless you were living in another world, you'll know that yesterday was Hallowe'en, when people dress up in scary clothes to try to scare away the evil spirits! Till very recently, up here in Scotland, this practice was called 'Guising', but it seems that everyone now does 'Trick or Treat'.

We had the grandchildren round .....





I disguised myself as a ghostie (can you see me?).....



Tim and I carved pumpkins ... his is on the left, mine on the right -



It's the adults' turn tonight! We're off out, in costume of course, to our local pub for their annual Hallowe'en party!

Hopefully, I'll have photos tomorrow!

xx

10 comments:

SuzyB said...

Awww how cute are you! Lovely story too, thank you for sharing :o)

Diana said...

Oh Bobs that is a beautiful shot of you! I too had a squint but it was never corrected expected by my glasses.

Thanks for sharing - it's gorgeous!

voodoo vixen said...

Great pic and yes, you look awfully pleased with your straight eyes!!

Love the his and her pumpkins!! LOL A lovely lady pumpkin lives here with a grouchy man pumpkin!!

Kids look like they had a blast!

Cheyne said...

What a cute pic!

Hazel said...

Love the photo of you as a child - it must have been so wonderful for you to proudly open your eyes wide and give that big smile with no squint (but what a shame it took it's toll on you in later life).

Hazel said...

Love the photo of you as a child - it must have been so wonderful for you to proudly open your eyes wide and give that big smile with no squint (but what a shame it took it's toll on you in later life).

WeirdCat said...

The kids look fantastic

Darcy said...

Great pics and story, shame it damaged your eye so much, but hey what's a nose smudge or two lol

The kids look fab, I adore the 3rd one, is she dressed as Wednesday Adams? love it.

Sue Nicholson said...

That is such a fabulous photo and story . . . you really do look so pleased with yourself. Gosh, where do the years go :-(

LOL at your comment about the camera! My Dad is blind in one eye as a result of a stroke, he wears an eye patch because he kept bumping in to people and they thought he was a drunk!!! He doesn't drink :-D

Lovely grandchildren photos . . . my they are growing fast too! Love your ghostly photo and laughed at the pumpkins :-D

Bye for now . . . Sue :-)

Maria said...

these are great photos- looks like fun