Search This Blog

Thursday, 30 April 2009

Spike Milligan

Dear old eccentric Spike was one of my heroes. I loved his books and his poems and my heart ached each time he had to struggle with his internal demons. However, I remember with a smile, a milk advert he did on TV in the 70's, warning us to "Watch out, watch out, watch out, watch out, there's a Humphrey about!" - Humphrey being an unseen character, who you would only know was there by the appearance of a straw emerging from the side of the screen, trying to get into your glass of milk!
As far as I know, these ads were never shown in Scotland, but I saw them after I got married and moved to England for a short time.

You may wonder where I'm going with this. Well, today's word over on HSMSHS is 'Warning' and here's mine ....



There was a glorious sunset here yesterday evening, but by the time I'd grabbed my camera, this was all that was left of it.

If only I'd been a few minutes earlier.

I mnaaged to wear my Varifocals all day yesterday without too much trouble, but I'm struggling again today. My eyes are aching.


xxx

9 comments:

Sarah said...

fantastic sunset shot!
And a great motive for warning

Gez said...

WOW! fantastic sunset.

Great warning shot too...

Well done managing to wear your glasses. It can only get easier..xx

jo said...

I grew up south of the border so remember Humphrey - it was a red and white stripy straw!

Great warning shot.

Photographing Mom said...

All the pics are great! Love the sunset!

Igotmebabe said...

Great choice for warning and a beautiful sunset :)

Liz said...

I remember Humphrey too!!! It's amazing where you can find warning signs.

Coffeedoff said...

Love the sunset one.

Coffeedoff said...

Love the sunset one.

Eleanor said...

My dad bought me Adolf Hitler My part in his downfall when I was about eleven and I was hooked, and I confess to using Ariel for my whites and have done since nurse training.
When your toe's better you'll be back to speed nipping for your camera.
E
xx