Search This Blog

Thursday, 6 August 2009

Holidays - Part One!

Tim and I drove down to Northampton for a week (well, to be accurate, he drove while I repeated what the satnav lady was saying!) to see his family. We were staying at the Park Inn, which used to be the Moat House Hotel.

We also took the opportunity to go for days out.

On Monday 20th July, we spent the day in London after taking the train from Northampton to Euston. It's really quite amazing what you can pack into one day when you set your mind to it!

The ceiling inside the British Museum is utterly fabulous. could have sat all day and photographed it from all different angles.


One of the faces on a Candian totem pole.


The necessarily high ISO produced loads of noise in this image, but cannot hide the fact that the bandage patterns on this mummy were simply exquisite.


These tiny Egyptian figurines would not look out of place in a Tim Burton movie. I was fascinated by them!


I loved these Greek statues.


After the British Museum, we made our way to the London Eye.


Bought Fast track tickets, which were well worth the extra £5 each because they meant we were queueing for 10 minutes instead of around half an hour!


After we came off the Eye, we walked over Westminster Bridge towards Westminster Abbey.
We didn't go into the Abbey though, because the entry fee was a bit extortionate!

Then we made our way to Baker Street, to visit the Sherlock Holmes Museum.


We also found time to visit the Tower of London (we didn't go in) and Tower Bridge.


We also visted Picadilly Circus and Leicester Square before making our way back to Euston for the train back up to Northampton.

Tired, but satisfied with our day!

More holiday tales next time!

xxx

4 comments:

Eleanor said...

I had my wedding reception at the Northampton Moat House.
Fabulous London photos - haven't been for 25 years or more, would love to.
E
xx

Sharon said...

Wow, you have packed lots in to your day.
Fab pics.

jo said...

Great set of photos.

Liz said...

I love the ceiling in the British Museum it's fabulous. I took Samuel there to see the Rosetta Stone and the Elgin Marbles. Have you been to the Natural History Museum? The main hall is breathtaking.
I must put Sherlock on my list for my next visit to my sisters.