Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, 29 January 2013

Hospital

After almost three long years of waiting - and one false start last month - I have finally, FINALLY had my operation!

For those that don't know, I had a massive hiatus hernia, where most of my stomach was actually up in my chest cavity, rather than being down in my abdomen, below my diaphragm. Not only that, but the part up in my chest was also folded back on itself, making eating solid food all but impossible without vomiting it all back up again. Yuk!

.

My sister Irene and brother-in-law Zander, drove me to the hospital on 16th January.

.

Spent my first night in Ward 46, at Aberdeen Royal Infirmary .......

.

..... before getting a cannula put in, then being wheeled to theatre next morning.

.

But when I woke up, THIS bad boy was in there!! Apparently, I was being VERY sick as I was waking up and I was in recovery for much longer than normal, while they tried to stop it!

.

A few short hours after surgery - not exactly looking my best!

.

But I still managed a very feeble thumbs-up! :-)

.

Still feeling a bit fragile next morning.

.

However, I felt much, much better by afternoon visiting time!

.

Apart from a little hiccup with my breathing, early on the next day, I kept on feeling better and better =- and got the cannula removed! Yay!

.

Managed a VERY tiny amount of porridge next morning - something I could never, ever have contemplated during the previous three years!

.

Monday 21st January - feeling so much better and waiting for Irene and Zander to come and take me home!

.

Out of hospital and tucked up in bed at Irene and Zander's house! Tired, but very happy! :-)

.

I stayed there for a week, during which time they both spoiled me rotten! I have to eat sloppy foods for a few weeks, but even so, I can eat things that were very definitely off the menu for so long!

.

And another bonus is that I have lost a stone in weight! I am definitely going to try to keep this up and get back to at least some sort of fighting fitness! :-)

.

Onwards and upwards!

.

3 comments:

jo burton said...

I hope you are soon up and about and back to your old self - and well done on your weight loss even if it took extreme measures:)

Anonymous said...

Bennachie beckons........

Tammy said...

I am so glad the surgery went well and that you are recovering!!